Perched on rare land once owned by the Vanderbilt family and touted as a landmark due to its rich history, Brooklyn’s rarest four family property, 15 Chester Court, has officially hit the market! Built in 1911, Chester Court is a New York City historic district featuring a double row of Tudor Revival homes situated on a quiet cul-de-sac street. Thanks to The Cruz Group at Town Residential, we’ve got an insider’s look into 15 Chester Court, which is currently priced at $1,949,000.
Here’s 5 Things You Didn’t Know About 15 Chester Court:
1. Built by prominent developer and architect, Peter J. Collins, who was also one of the first to complete the architectural course at Pratt
2. During the construction of the houses in 1912, the name, Chester Court was chosen because the houses were modeled after a house in Chester, England. Each house was to be surrounded by “an attractive front court in keeping with the English style”, according to The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Each parcel features oriel windows, red Flemish-bond brick, and stucco facades trimmed with alternating timer patterns.
3. When built, each property boasted about having a billiard room, which at that time, billiard tournament results received wider coverage than war news. Players were so renowned that cigarette cards were issued featuring them.
4. For the first time in four years, one of these historic row houses is available on the market. According to the NYC Landmark Preservations Commission, the properties are “remarkably well-preserved,” with original clay tile roofs on all of the homes and some “historic wooden doors” remaining.
5. In 1957, 15 Chester Court was converted from a single-family mansion into a 4 unit multifamily dwelling. There are 2,760 square feet of air rights available for an architect to work with if a new owner was looking to expand the footprint of 15 Chester Court for use either as a multi or single family.
The current 2,972 sq ft four-family layout includes a ground floor one-bedroom, one-bath unit and a first-floor two-bedroom, one-bathroom unit, both with garden access. The second floor includes a second two-bedroom, one-bathroom unit, while a studio apartment occupies the top floor. This landmarked building would be ideal as a magnificent single-family dwelling, an owner’s triplex with garden-level rental, or a profitable investment property in the highly sought-after Prospect Lefferts Gardens neighborhood.
Set within minutes of Prospect Park’s eastern edge, this fantastic building offers outstanding access to verdant outdoor space, recreation and year-round events and green-markets. Enjoy Brooklyn’s renown dining and nightlife scenes, plus outstanding access to transportation with B, Q, S, 2 and 5 trains all nearby.
Viewing the Property
To set up a viewing of 15 Chester Court, contact Joe Cruz at The Cruz Group of Town Residential at 917.459.7681 or send an email to JCruz@townresidential.com or feel free to stop by the open house taking place on Saturday April 7th, 2018 from 12pm – 1:30pm.