Written by Nathifa King | Edited by Kayla Swindell
On Saturday, July 29th, 2023, founder and Executive Director of HealthJox Foundation, Inc. – Dewry DuRoi Bradford teams up with BK Net-Work to produce the 6th annual HealthJox Festival at Brooklyn Bridge Park, Pier 2 Basketball Courts.
HealthJox Festival – Brooklyn Bridge Park, (Pier 2 Basketball Courts), Saturday, July 29 ,2023 – 12:00 noon – 5:00pm
Attendees will enjoy a healthy day of “Game Of Thrones” – Basketball Tournament – hosted by Zak Solomon Miller and The Voice Of Harlem; Pickle Ball games and AirOdart clinic & games hosted by Coach Ted Gustus; 60’s & Over – Basketball Exhibition hosted by Lahh Woods & Front Court Masters; Workout hosted by celebrity trainer Jerry Joseph; life-size board games; face painting and cool attractions for the kids; opening entertainment by Gospel Singer – Alicia Robinson Cooper from the cast of BOUNCE The Basketball Opera – playing the role of Mrs. Lucas, a mother who has lost her 5-year-old son to gun violence. (Credit: ARDEA ARTS & Opera Out of Bounds). HealthJox will also offer free tablets for underserved attendees.
***Attendees can bring their lunch, but we will also provide light healthy snacks, drinks, and unlimited water.
The office of the Mayor of New York City honors the following with Citations for impactful work within the 5-boroughs:
- Missionary Bishop Lester Bradford: Founder of Exousia Cathedral, with over 30 years of missionary work locally and abroad, he launched a program called “Brownsville Shines”that annually provides food, clothing, technology, and toys to Brownsville residents throughout the year.
- Coach Ted Gustus: Former PSAL Basketball Commissioner for Brooklyn who founded the One Breath Foundation in Brooklyn to teach Youth the importance of “breath” and healthy activities through podcasts, tournaments, and basketball training programs.
- Bob McCullough:former NBA player, co-founder of Rucker Pro Tournament and founder of Each One Teach One whose mission is rooted in fostering holistic growth in the countless participants it has served. They have been instrumental in the development of a multitude of youngsters’ skills on the court, with many who have gone on garnering athletic scholarships from colleges as well as playing professionally.
- Phillip Rucker: Son of Holcombe Rucker – founder of Fundamental Community Solutions which creates major opportunities for Youth in New York City for them to reach their potential.
- Stacey Marius & Cheryl Marius: Directors of Entertainers Basketball Classic and surviving sisters of founder Greg Marius continues the legacy of a powerful staple in Harlem for the Youth of New York City.
HealthJox and BK-Net-Work added 3-more dates to expand our service offering to New York City Youth:
- August 5, 2023: Sumner vs. Thompkins
- August 19, 2023: “Game of Thrones” – Basketball TournamentChampionship @ Brooklyn Bridge Park
- September 23, 2023: Knickerbocker Games
Brooklyn Health Equity; Pepsi Co; Brooklyn District Attorney – Eric Gonzales; Brooklyn Borough President – Antonio Reynoso; Breathe Life Foundation; Uncle Chase Foundation; Both Sides of the Violence; Moms Demand Action; Solidarity Movers; NYPD; FDNY; Keep This Link.