2 cups canned full-fat coconut milk
2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
3 allspice berries
4 egg yolks
1 tsp ground nutmeg, plus additional for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut milk, vanilla almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, cloves and allspice over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, with a handheld electric mixer, whip the egg yolks until they are light yellow.
- With a whisk, whisk constantly, and gradually add about 2 cups of the warmed milk mixture into the egg yolks.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the remaining milk mixture and whisk to combine. Heat the mixture for 5 minutes, but do not boil. (Boiling will curdle the milk.) Remove from the heat. In a sieve, strain out whole spices. Whisk in the nutmeg.
- Transfer to a glass bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Top with a sprinkle of ground nutmeg, if desired.
- 1/2 cup